autohitch logo
How to Transfer Title To Family Member in Georgia

How to Transfer Title To Family Member in Georgia

Below is a guide I created for anyone who needs to transfer a title to a family member in Georgia. If you have any additional questions, feel free to leave them in the comments below.

Related Articles To Read:

Required Documents

1. Sign Over the Title

The current owner (seller) should sign the back of the title in the “Transfer of Title by Owner” section:

  • Enter the odometer reading (Unless Exempt)
  • Print and sign their name as it appears on the front of the title
  • Enter the new owner’s (buyer’s) name and address

For Exempt Vehicles: Vehicles that are 20 model years old or older are exempt from odometer disclosure requirements. For these cars simply put “Exempt” in the space provided for the odometer reading.

2. Complete Form MV-16

Both parties must complete and notarize the MV-16 Affidavit to certify the immediate family relationship. This form exempts you from paying sales tax on the vehicle transfer.

3. Visit the County Tag Office

Take all the required documents to your local county tag office and submit them along with payment for the fees. The clerk will process the title transfer into the new owner’s name.

Please update the new owner’s insurance information in Georgia’s database within 30 days of the transfer.

If The Owner Is Deceased:

1. Gather Required Documents

Before beginning the process, it’s necessary to gather the following documents:

  • The original vehicle title in the deceased owner’s name, if available.
  • The death certificate of the deceased owner.
  • Documentation proving the relationship between the deceased and the inheritor, such as a marriage certificate or birth certificate.
  • Form T-20 Affidavit of Inheritance, required if there is no will or probate.
  • Form MV-1 Title/Tag Application.
  • A valid Georgia driver’s license or ID of the inheritor.
  • Proof of Georgia liability insurance in the name of the inheritor.

2. Determine if the Estate is Being Probated

The process varies slightly depending on whether the estate is undergoing probate:

  • If there is a will and the estate is being probated, Letters Testamentary naming the executor will be necessary. The executor is then responsible for transferring the title.
  • If there is no will and the estate is not being probated, the inheritor can claim the vehicle using Form T-20.

3. At the County Tag Office

Depending on whether the estate is being probated, the inheritor or executor will need to submit different documents:

  • Without probate, the inheritor must submit Form T-20, the death certificate, proof of relationship, and complete the MV-1 application.
  • With probate, the executor submits the Letters Testamentary, the death certificate, and the MV-1 application.
  • The title transfer fee of $18 will be paid by the inheritor or executor.
  • To register the vehicle, the inheritor must provide proof of Georgia insurance and a valid driver’s license.

4. Title is Transferred

After the necessary paperwork is completed and fees are paid, the county tag office will issue a new Georgia title in the inheritor’s name. If the inheritor does not reside in Georgia, they must title the vehicle in their state before transferring it to Georgia.

Relevant Georgia Websites:

Once again, if you have a situation that falls outside of the guidance I provided above, please leave it in the comments below, and I will do my best to answer you.

5 Responses

  1. Thank you for this. My father recently passed and we are getting ready to transfer the his auto title to his wife so she can legally sell the car. We have the original title, marriage certificate, my father’s birth certificate and wife’s driver license. ( her birth certificate is missing) Also, have available registration and insurance cards. Is there anything else we need to bring to the DMV that they will need? It seems like there is always something unexpected.

    1. in Georgia I dont believe the birth certificates are required, but I think they like seeing them if you have them. I was able to find what appears to be a form you must fill out if there is no will, and some other stipulations. I will link to the document and you can read it to see if your situation qualifies. Also, the title must be signed over to her, but if there is an executor then thats who needs to sign it. If there is no probate or no executor, I believe that’s where the document comes in. It does seem confusing, but when it comes to the DMV have all your bases covered. If you situation seems to fit the form i included then just have it on hand so you’re not wasting a trip. I also wouldn’t sign it until your at the DMV. Wait until the people at the DMV tell you shes authorized to sign it over to herself and do it right there. They might not like waiting but who cares? Getting it right is what matters. Form:

    2. I actually decided to create a new section in the article for this. Be sure to look back at that as a guide. unfortunately, the DMV does always seem to do it differently than their own rules state lol, but like I said: Just cover all your bases and have more than you think you need.

    1. Both the MV-1 and MV-16 are required. MV1 is tag and title and MV-16 is the affidavit to Certify the family relationship as being “Immediate”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Picture of Steve Momot - Author

Steve Momot - Author

Steve, a seasoned expert in the automotive industry, formerly held a car dealer license in Florida. With extensive experience spanning across car trading and mechanical work, he founded Autohitch. His mission? To guide both buyers and sellers through the intricate maze of car purchasing, ensuring a seamless and informed experience. Outside of the automotive world, Steve has a passion for fishing and capturing the beauty of nature through photography.


Share on.

Table of Contents