Shopping with a baby can be challenging. You need to get groceries, but you also need to keep your little one safe. Putting your baby’s car seat in the shopping cart may seem like an easy solution. However, this is not always the safest option.
This article will cover how to safely put a car seat in a shopping cart as well as alternatives to putting the car seat in the cart.
Table of Contents
Place the Car Seat in the Main Basket
The only safe place for a car seat in a shopping cart is in the main basket.
- Do not place the car seat on top of the cart. This can make the cart top-heavy and likely to tip over.
- Do not attach the car seat to the sides of the cart. This is also unstable and unsafe.
- The basket provides the most secure spot for the car seat. Make sure it is positioned so you can see your baby.
- Surround the car seat with soft items like loaves of bread to provide cushioning.
- Go slowly over uneven surfaces to avoid jostling the cart.
Always Buckle Your Baby In
Before placing the car seat in the cart, buckle your baby in securely.
- The harness straps should be snug with no slack.
- The chest clip should be at armpit level to avoid slouching and injury.
- Check that your baby is buckled per the car seat manufacturer’s instructions.
Alternatives to Putting a Car Seat in a Cart
While the main basket is the safest cart spot, you may want to consider other options.
Use a Stroller
Many car seats can snap into strollers, providing a secure way to transport your baby and leaving your hands free to shop.
Slings, wraps, and carriers allow you to keep your baby close while pushing the cart freely.
Ask a Caregiver to Stay with Baby
Having someone watch your child at home is ideal for reducing COVID-19 exposure risk.
Many stores let you order online and have employees bring groceries to your parked car.
Shop with Another Adult
Each adult uses one cart – one for baby and one for groceries.
If you do place a car seat in the cart, keep these tips in mind:
- Never leave your baby unattended, even for a minute
- Stay within arm’s reach of the cart at all times
- Remove sleeping babies from the car seat in the cart immediately
With some planning and forethought, you can tackle grocery shopping safely with your baby in tow. Prioritize your child’s security by buckling them into the car seat properly and choosing alternate transportation methods when possible.